Need some plumbing tips and advice?
There are a few general plumbing problems that can be easily identified. If you find that your water bills appear to be unusually high, that’s probably because you have some leaking taps, pipes or a leaking toilet.
If you can hear a whistling sound in the pipes more than likely your jumper valves (Tap washers) need to be replaced. Scenarios like these are good to know for the next time you might need a plumber.
Would you like to save water and save money on your water bill?
- Dripping taps can waste up to 200 litres of water per day!
- Check all flexible hoses for bulges, leaks or signs of weakness.
- All plumbing over $750.00 requires certificate of compliance.
- If you’re worried about hot water scalding your kids or anyone else, GMJ Plumbing can test your hot water temperature and if required install a tempering valve that will limit the temperature of the hot water, making your home a safer place.
- Single flush toilets can use up to 11 litres of water per flush, new toilets use 6/3 litres of water per flush. Save water and Money upgrade your toilet.
- Never flush cotton swabs, cotton balls, disposable nappies, sanitary products or similar items down your toilet. These items will not dissolve and are responsible for most blockages.
- If you can smell gas at your property shut the gas off at the meter, then call GMJPlumbing to rectify the gas leak.
- Regularly service your gas appliances to ensure they are working efficiently and safely.
Be on the look out for wet areas:
In the garden, check under sinks, under basins and under floors. If you find traces of damp or mould, this might indicate that you have a leaking pipe.
Monitor Water Pressure:
If your shower / kitchen starts losing pressure or your bathroom taps begin to run slowly this might be a sign of build up or a partial blockage inside your water pipes.
Emergencies happen, so try to plan ahead. Firstly ensure you know where all your isolation valves are. Secondly have the number of GMJ Plumbing stored in your mobile phone so if an emergency does happen you’ll be able to act fast.
Common Issues with Tap ware
- Taps that constantly drip.
- Taps that leak around the handle.
- Taps that don’t turn on all the way.
- Noisy Taps
- Taps that cause ‘water hammer’
There are typically four types of taps commonly seen in homes today and they all experience different problems from time to time and at GMJPlumbing we can service the full range.
- Jumper valve /tap washers- taps.
- Mixer taps- sink, basin.
- Half turn and quarter turn taps.
- Sensor taps.
More often than not issues with toilets are annoying and usually requires immediate attention.
Leaking toilets alone can waste up to 73500 litres of water per year
- Water that constantly runs into the toilet bowl.
- Cisterns that don’t fill correctly.
- Cisterns that don’t flush correctly.
- Cisterns that are noisy when filling.
- Water leaking onto the floor from flush pipe.
- Water leaking around base of toilet.